I think we all know how plain and ugly those big stock mirrors are that come when you purchase a new house. Well, sadly, I have two in my house. I have always hated them and have had plans to sex-them-up, but never did. That all changed this weekend when I headed to Lowe's with a mission: buy moulding and supplies to frame the mirrors.
Since this was my first attempt at framing a mirror, I figured I should start with one mirror and see how it goes. I started by selecting strips of moulding and some wooden medallions, all painted in white (the less work, the better). I had the hardware man cut the moulding strips based on my mirror measurements. I also asked the hardware man what type of adhesive I needed to buy. I heard there was something called mirror glue, but ended up with Liquid Nail, which was recommended by Lowe's staff. Side note: Good thing Ben was with me, because I would have left that store with a tube of Liquid Nail caulking and no caulking gun. (How was I supposed to know you needed one of those? I have never used caulking before.)
By the time I arrived at the checkout counter, I had the following in hand:
- Strips of white moulding (cut based on my measurement specifications by the Lowe's staff)
- 4 white, wooden medallions
- One tube of Liquid Nail
- One caulking gun
Approximately total: $30
I was so eager to get started that I forgot to take a "before" picture. Here is one taken halfway through. Notice the hideously plain trim on the top and right sides of the mirror. At this point, I was admiring my work. I was so thrilled with the way things were going.
I am extremely pleased with the final product. I get so happy every time I go into my guest bathroom now! Overall, I think I spent more time at Lowe's than I did adhering the DIY frame to the mirror. That is always good news. Shopping > Everything else!
Now I am looking forwarding to transforming my master bathroom next!